Crime of the Week – Home Renovation Scam
Recently a man attended an elderly couple’s residence in Chatham asking to be paid for home repairs that he completed the previous day. The man claimed that he replaced a roof vent Tuesday morning at 6:30 a.m. When the homeowners became suspicious and refused to pay him, the man fled on foot. He was described as a white man, approximately 5’10” with a stalky build and short brown hair.
The Chatham-Kent Police Service would like to remind residents to:
– Be wary of anyone offering a deal too good to be true
– Never hand over a cash deposit on the spot to anyone you don’t know – con artists will take the money and run
– If your home really is in need of repairs, get several estimates before making a decision
– Research the company offering to do any repairs before you sign a contract or agree to have any work done
– Don’t feel pressured to sign a contract. If they insist on an immediate decision they are probably not trustworthy
For more information on home repair scams, please see https://www.ontario.ca/faq/what-are-some-common-home-renovation-scams
If you have any information regarding this or any other crime please call CRIME STOPPERS at 519-351-8477, or 1-800-222-8477, or visit www.crime-stoppers.on.ca and email your tip.
Crime Stoppers guarantees your anonymity, we never ask for your name or your phone number. WE pay cash for YOUR tips.